Jewish Law & Customs
A popular Jewish folktale tells of a young student who came to a prominent rabbi to be tested for ordination. The rabbi’s first question was “Name the five volumes of the Shulkhan Arukh.”
The student, thinking that the rabbi had made a slip of the tongue, named the four volumes, but the rabbi asked him to name the fifth.
“There is no fifth volume,” the student said.
“There is indeed,” the rabbi said. “Common sense is the fifth volume, and if you don’t have it, all your rulings will be of no use, even if you know the other four volumes by heart.”
Links & Resources
- mishna run.org Learn Talmud through video’s Hebrew – English subtitle using the “ADMT” method
- shema yisrael.com
- Resolving Uncertainty: A Unified Overview of Rabbinic Methods
- Explanation of Atonement – Yom Kippur
- Jew Faq.org
- Union for Reform Judaism – Weekly Parsha
- Yiddish dictionary online.com
- Jewish virtual library.org/ shulkhan_arukh
- haEzer-laws concerning Jewish marriage and divorce.
Guaranteed Issue - No Pre X Clause
Quote & Subsidy Calculation
No charge for our complementary services